Thursday, January 30, 2014


Today was the day we were dreading.  The day that made us anxious.  We were afraid and uncertain on the drive to Boston.  The ride in was quiet, with a little nervous talk.   We left early enough so we could stop at Toy R Us for a special surprise.  Just a little something to smooth over our transition into Children's and to MRI.  He voiced his fears as I held him in the lobby and waited for the others to come in.  I held him and promised it was going to be okay.  That he was only having some pictures taken.  We walked together to the elevators and up we went to floor #2.  As we took the corner to MRI, I could feel my legs getting weak.  I could feel my body putting on the brakes.  I didn't want to be in this hallway again. It's the place we heard the "news".  The hallway I remember seeing another mother crying in.  The same hallway we cried in.  The one I wandered around tying to call family members.  I could feel the tension as we walked into the waiting room.  It was the place we sat, talked and joked around before hearing the "news".  Here we were again,  just this time we were prepared to hear news about Danny's tumor.   

Shortly after filling out Danny's papers we were ushered out of the room to the prep room.  Carley answered questions while Danny and I played with the TV.  It took a while to get him registered and prepped.  Danny started to cry when he saw Carley in the hospital scrubs.  He told her that he wanted to go home and that he didn't like her outfit.  She amazes me with her ability calm him while she is dying inside.  I watched her rock him, sing to him and reassure him that he was going to be okay.  That she would be right there for him the entire time.  I wanted to cry for her.

The anesthesiologist arrived right at 12 o'clock and whisked them off to the MRI room.  I waited patiently for her to return so we could return to the waiting room to our parents and Dan.  For the next hour, we had lunch and sat in the waiting room.  The nurse called Dan and Carley back to sit with Danny while he slept.  I sat with my parents and talked.  The second I picked up my phone to show them some pictures, Carley arrived.  She looked funny,  with a slight smirk on her face and asked me to take a walk with her.  As we turned the corner into the the hallway she looked at me and told me the best news....The news we needed to hear...The news that we have been praying for....The tumor has shrunk significantly!!  Music to my ears.  I burst in to tears and hugged her as tight as I could.  I whispered into her ear....Our prayers are being answered.  We told our parents the good news.  My mom went to sit with Danny while he slept and I sat with my dad and gave him a big hug.  It was the best feeling to sit in the waiting room and know he is fighting and winning his battle.

He slept for a long time after his MRI.  Once he woke up, we packed up our stuff and went home.  The car ride was much livelier.  A sense of relief filled the air.

Thank you for all of your continued support and prayers!  Please keep them coming. They are being answered!!

1 comment :